Texas trails Anaheim 3-1 going into the bottom of the 7th inning right now. Here are a few random things I've seen during the first 6 innings:
- Sammy Sosa's 0 for 2 with a walk and a strikeout looking thus far. He did not look good at all against Lackey's breaking pitches, although not many of the Rangers did. His timing seems a bit off, and his swing looks a little wild. He did a nice job working back from an 0-2 count to draw a walk in the 3rd inning, though, as he laid off of several tough pitches down and away.
- Hank Blalock is looking impressive in his first game after after having the cloud of Buck Showalter lifted, going 2 for 3 so far with an opposite field double to left center field and a single up the middle off lefty Darren Oliver. His swing on the double was a real thing of beauty, and I hope we see a lot more of that. Unfortunately, he was robbed by GMJ on a bloop job to center field with the bases loaded to end the 3rd inning rally.
- Brad Wilkerson is 0 for 2 with a walk and a strikeout. It's extremely early, but he doesn't look much different from the guy who hit a disappointing .222/.306/.422 last season.
- Texas has left 8 men on base through 6 innings. Absolutely inexcusable. This is the sort of thing that killed the Rangers in 2006.
- I don't like Gary Matthews Jr. anymore.
Hopefully Texas can put together a late rally, but as a whole they're not really looking that great tonight. Stay tuned.