What is your opinion of the A.J. Pierzynski signing?
MJH on accountability
It's obvious that the Rangers are good enough (at least this season) to be the class of the AL West. Just to pick an arbitrary number, what 5 things would you change about this team if you could wave that proverbial magic wand? (Try to stay away from things like, "Hank Aaron at clean-up in his prime," but some time-warpisms are permitted.) Here are mine:
1. A younger Michael Young. Yes, he is still the team leader and is having a decent offensive season. But my eyeballs see a player that, if not in decline, is right on the precipice. MY at his prime would make such a difference in this line-up.
2. An older Andrus, Feliz and Holland. This is kinda the inverse of Young. Andrus and Feliz are already good, but another year or two of experience would put them in an even better place. More experience for Holland would perhaps secure his place in this rotation.
3. A healthy Hamilton, Kinsler and Cruz. This almost goes without saying. All three have seen significant injury time this season. Can you imagine where this team would be if all three were fully healthy? (Heck, throw Frankie in there as well if you'd like.)
4. The Cliff Lee we traded for. Nuff said.
5. Martin Perez and Tanner Scheppers up and ready to go. Patience is a virtue, but if these two guys deliver as advertised, it will ultimately be what pushes the Rangers into elite status.
Mine is exactly the same, except instead of you're #2 I would have said have the ownership change happen before opening day like it should have
1. A 1st BM that can hit for power, avg and field his position. BA above .275 w/30 homers.2. A Catcher who can hit his weight that is not a BM. A little pop in the bat but better at calling a game.3. A cl;utch hitter that can come off of the bench as a PH and deliver.4. A manager that doesn't have to see 100 pitches before he removes a pitcher that is losing it.5. Better Base Running instruction and execution6. Bench coaches that will keep stupid things from happening by anticipating them before hand.I've got 10 more but I see my time is up. (Pull me Wash. I don't want to name 100)
At this point, I'd add one more to my list - WIN A GAME!
1. I wish Julio and Andrus had stolen 30+ bases each at a >75% success rate. I love the idea of a 9-1 speed demon pair wreaking havoc on the basepaths. 2. Health. Obviously. 3. Change the schedule to avoid playing the Orioles. Ever. 4. Better umpiring. 5. I'd have made Joe Mauer miss the game where he ruined our near no-hitter in the 9th inning. Dang.
1. A different manager
2. Scott Faildman DFA
3. Borbon to learn to hit and gain some arm strength
4. Elvis and MY to hit .300+
5. All the scrubs gone (Guzman and pit face mainly)
1. A different manager with actual decision making skills.
Notify me of follow-up comments via email.